• LuHi Roar
Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

LuHi Student, Alex Schultz Accepted into the Air Force Academy
Stella Bertsch, Writer • April 12, 2024
LuHi students pose with the children  they were serving on their Mexico mission trip
LuHi Missions Team Takes a Trip to Mexico
Hailey Berge, Yearbook Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi Begins to offer Mental Health Services in the Counseling Office.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi’s Seniors Showcase: Frankenstein
LuHi’s Senior's Showcase: Frankenstein
Zissel Krett, Writer • April 8, 2024
Rebekah Jacob, who plays Dolly Levi, sings with flourish.
Hello Dolly! is a whirlwind of colors, love, and pure joy.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • March 7, 2024

Prepare! Prepare! Prepare!

The Differences Between Auditioning and Trying Out, and What You Need to Know for Both
Lauren Larson
Ryan Kleim, playing Macebth.

As LuHi’s winter season gets underway, athletes and thespians alike are preparing for tryouts for the winter sports or auditions for the spring musical. But what actually needs to be done for a tryout or audition? And how can you strive to rock yours?

LuHi athlete Nikki McSpadden says “[tryouts] kind of starts in the beginning of the fall, because we have open gyms and practices… We have two days of real tryouts, but all of them are kind of tryouts. So it’s like showing the coaches you are committed; committed to being there and committed to working hard.”

Ryan Kleim, a LuHi thespian, describes the process of auditioning as well: “It’s not super intensive, but it’s definitely something you need to consciously put effort into doing. And, oftentimes, people will do it together. It essentially consists of a monologue, a 32 bar solo, and then we do choreography.” Both auditions and tryouts require lots of effort, and each comes with their own struggles. “For me it’s the choreography.” Ryan admits. “I’d like to think I’m a pretty good actor, and I’d like to think I’m a pretty good singer, but I am not a good dancer. Learning choreography, for me, last year was an absolute pain.” “Tryouts are usually the hardest practices.” Nikki reflects. “We run the most in those and do the most drills that are going to push you. And just getting started, getting into the rhythm of not having time to do homework after school and stuff like that [is hard].”

While often difficult, tryouts and auditions are incredibly important parts of a sport or a show. So, what little things can an athlete or thespian do to ace their part? “I think getting yourself ready for sure the week before, and the weeks coming up to [tryouts], because if you don’t, you’ll get really sore just after one day, and then practice starts the next day. So then you’re sore for the rest of the week.” Nikki warns. “So I think it’s important to stretch and drink a lot of water and eat good food and stuff like that beforehand.”

Preparation is equally important for auditions, but in a different way. “I think a lot of the times in auditions, like during cold reads, people are way too focused on reading the lines right. People try to get the script and memorize the lines and try to read them out, but I think what they really need to be doing is focusing on making character choices.” Ryan advises. “Not necessarily character work. But making some kind of decision to show what you can do as an actor is very important. Because in an audition what you’re really trying to do is present your skills as an actor.”

For anyone trying out or auditioning for the first time, the process doesn’t have to be stressful. “Just kind of relax and have fun with it.” Nikki says. “Showing up and showing [the coaches] you have a good attitude is really important.” “Take it one step at a time and take it from the perspective of trying to advertise yourself.” Ryan adds. “Try and make sure you show them what you can do.”

Tryouts and auditions can be tough, in very different ways, but that doesn’t mean that they have to be overwhelming. This is your chance to show off what you can do. So give it your all, enjoy the process, and remember: Prepare! Prepare! Prepare!