• LuHi Roar
Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

LuHi Student, Alex Schultz Accepted into the Air Force Academy
Stella Bertsch, Writer • April 12, 2024
LuHi students pose with the children  they were serving on their Mexico mission trip
LuHi Missions Team Takes a Trip to Mexico
Hailey Berge, Yearbook Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi Begins to offer Mental Health Services in the Counseling Office.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi’s Seniors Showcase: Frankenstein
LuHi’s Senior's Showcase: Frankenstein
Zissel Krett, Writer • April 8, 2024
Rebekah Jacob, who plays Dolly Levi, sings with flourish.
Hello Dolly! is a whirlwind of colors, love, and pure joy.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • March 7, 2024

Preparing for Sadies in the 80’s

Students+cheer+during+Sadies+Basketball+Games+
Lauren Larson
Students cheer during Sadies Basketball Games

One of the most exciting parts of LuHi culture is the theme weeks leading up to dances. From homecoming to prom, it is always an event to dress up according to the themes for each day, compare costumes with friends, and gather together as a student body for pep rallies and games. This year, the Sadies Week theme is “Sadies in the 80s!”, and the theme days consist of colorful and classic prompts based on iconic 80’s movies like “Back to the Future” and “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off ”. 

The process of deciding on a theme, dress-up days, and all the fun that goes into Sadies Week is not an easy task for the Student Council, also known as StuCo, but they take the job seriously to make each week a memorable experience for the student body. 

The first order of business when putting together Sadies Week is deciding on a theme. This consists of StuCo members coming up with ideas, and presenting them, to either vote on or put away for future dances. The 80s theme has been used before, far enough in the past that no current LuHi student remembers it.

Once the overall theme is decided, StuCo works on deciding the dress-up days for the week. This process can be tedious, but as Student Body President, Allie Nagel takes it seriously, listening to each idea and combining them into a master list. “I want to make sure everyone has a voice in the student council. It’s important to me that everyone feels comfortable sharing their own ideas and no idea goes unnoticed.” Nagel said. 

Many factors go into selecting a theme for a day including creativity, practicality, and ease of dress up. It can take two to three meetings for StuCo to decide on the themes for each day, taking the time to sort out the best ideas. 

Once the theme and dress-up days are set in stone, StuCo dives into the many logistics that go into the activities throughout the week. “There are ticket sales, dress-up days check-ins, dance decorations, social media posts, planning a reveal, planning pep rallies, and all the other events around the week outside of school. There’s a lot” Nagel said. 

While the planning takes a lot of effort, it is worth the reward when the students get to enjoy being out of the dress code, participating in games and friendly competition with the other gender, and getting to attend a dance with their friends at the end of the week. 

Along with the rest of the student population, StuCo President Allie Nagel is looking forward to it all. “I love the idea of a Sadies 80 Week. I think it will be super exciting to see what everyone comes up with and dresses up as!” she said. “I also hope everyone crimps their hair because I know I’m going to.”