• LuHi Roar
Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

LuHi Student, Alex Schultz Accepted into the Air Force Academy
Stella Bertsch, Writer • April 12, 2024
LuHi students pose with the children  they were serving on their Mexico mission trip
LuHi Missions Team Takes a Trip to Mexico
Hailey Berge, Yearbook Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi Begins to offer Mental Health Services in the Counseling Office.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi’s Seniors Showcase: Frankenstein
LuHi’s Senior's Showcase: Frankenstein
Zissel Krett, Writer • April 8, 2024
Rebekah Jacob, who plays Dolly Levi, sings with flourish.
Hello Dolly! is a whirlwind of colors, love, and pure joy.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • March 7, 2024

Making an Impact Through Refuge

Look up LuHi! We have a new worship event on campus– Refuge! Refuge is a student-led worship service made for the students of Lutheran High School where students are led through thought-provoking discussion questions, passionate worship songs, and meaningful messages brought by one of their fellow classmates. The Refuge Leadership Team has been working hard to deliver a thoughtful and welcoming event where students can just come and worship without worrying about the craziness of life as a high schooler.

Refuge producers Ellie Smith and Mandi Paul are impressed with Refuge’s initial impact and hope to maintain a positive response from LuHi students. “I think it’s a great way for the students to build community with each other and a Christ-centered community through Christ.” Mandi reflects. “I think that’s really cool to have that at Lutheran now.” Many students who attended Refuge would agree, as Rebekah Jacob, a Refuge attendee and band member, adds “I felt like it was a great opportunity to worship with the people we know in school, and to allow ourselves to just let go and experience the Holy Spirit together.” “I think so far, so good.” Ellie asserts. “We’re able to grow in our numbers and start out with a pretty decent-sized group.” However, as the Refuge season gets underway, the producers contemplate the student body’s knowledge about the Refuge event itself. “I wish there was a better way to get it out there.” Mandi laments. “I feel like a lot of people don’t really know what it is… I think if people knew a better description of it, they would get more excited.” Ellie agrees, adding “I think most of it [news about Refuge] is just going to come from other voices saying: ‘Oh it was great!’ ‘Oh it was good!’I think the student body is the best way to get it out there.” 

Despite the lack of circulation about Refuge, the event has still managed to make a big impact on the LuHi community and attract quite a few students to attend. With around 65-70 students at each event, Refuge certainly has seen a promising turn-out of students, and aims to increase those numbers a lot by the end of the semester and to see many more new and familiar faces attend. As Refuge continues to grow, the producers consider what they want Refuge to look like at the end of the year. “I think making sure everyone gets involved, and no one feels left out or excluded, and that it just becomes one big family.” Mandi says. “I would say my big goal is that people are sad when it’s over for the year.” Ellie adds. “That’s what I really want. I want people to want it to come back next year.” Refuge attendees and band members have their own hopes for the event as well. “I wish there were more songs.” Rebekah admits. 

With its goal to be an event “by the students, for the students,” Refuge is certainly shaping up to be a great way to get involved in the LuHi community through worship, and Refuge leaders and attendees encourage everyone to come out and experience Refuge for themselves. “Come! Try it!” Rebekah urges. “You only live once and there’s only eleven left!”