• LuHi Roar
Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

THE LUHI ROAR

Lutheran High School Student News

THE LUHI ROAR

LuHi Student, Alex Schultz Accepted into the Air Force Academy
Stella Bertsch, Writer • April 12, 2024
LuHi students pose with the children  they were serving on their Mexico mission trip
LuHi Missions Team Takes a Trip to Mexico
Hailey Berge, Yearbook Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi Begins to offer Mental Health Services in the Counseling Office.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • April 8, 2024
LuHi’s Seniors Showcase: Frankenstein
LuHi’s Senior's Showcase: Frankenstein
Zissel Krett, Writer • April 8, 2024
Rebekah Jacob, who plays Dolly Levi, sings with flourish.
Hello Dolly! is a whirlwind of colors, love, and pure joy.
Lauren Larson, Editor in Chief • March 7, 2024

(Air Force photo by Mike Kaplan) (released)

It is an amazing opportunity and achievement to get into Colorado Springs’ Air Force Academy. It is a very exclusive school with an acceptance rate of just 13%. Yet one of our own Alex Schultz, has worked extremely hard and gotten accepted to the academy. 

So what is different about the Air Force Academy? According to their website, all graduates must serve at least five years on active duty and three as inactive reserve after graduation in return for a free education that is valued at $416,000. But each day cadets are challenged academically, militarily, and physically, and their character is deliberately developed. Their success at the Academy depends on their attitude, willingness to be challenged, and how they perform under stress.

Alex shared more on his story. Applying to the USAFA was a dream of his since middle school, he wanted to be able to serve his country and be part of something greater than himself. He is excited to be academically and physically challenged while gaining skills for a career in the armed forces. He spoke about the application process, what sets it apart from a normal college application is that it includes an interview process with both State Senators and House Representatives. All applicants must be given a congressional nomination before they are appointed, so they have to apply to both of those options to be considered for a nomination.

On top of this, the Academy tests every applicant’s physical fitness and includes a medical exam. When asked if his hard work paid off he passionately said yes, it’s been a factor in all the decisions he’s made throughout the years to make sure that he would be a competitive applicant and now he has a sense of completion knowing that his goal was achieved. 

After graduation, he will be commissioned into the Air Force or Space Force as a Second Lieutenant and he will be required to serve for at least five years. LuHi was also a factor in helping Alex reach his goal. They provided him with an awesome counseling staff to help with all of the details of the application. Teachers also helped out with letters of recommendation as well as provide academic courses and support that set him up for success in life and at the Academy.

It is an inspiration to hear more in-depth about the work and dedication Alex has shown to achieve their goals going into the USAFA, and the character they show by sacrificing so much of themselves to serve their country. Lutheran High School sends them off with pride and prayers into the next stage of their lives.